Pages

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Climb

OK.  So I was actually writing on another subject.  Came across a few quotes and then heard Miley Cyrus' "The Climb."  Figured someone was really trying to change the subject.  Got the message.  

"I am here for a purpose and that purpose is to grow into a mountain, not to shrink to a grain of sand. Henceforth will I apply ALL my efforts to become the highest mountain of all and I will strain my potential until it cries for mercy."  - Og Mandino (One of my favorite authors!)

"The Beauty of the Mountain is hidden for all those who try to discover it from the top, supposing that, one way or an other, one can reach this place directly. The Beauty of the Mountain reveals only to those who climbed it..." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"The mountains will always be there, the trick is to make sure you are too." - Hervey Voge

"The Climb"

The struggles I'm facing

The chances I'm taking
Sometimes might knock me down, but
No I'm not breaking
I may not know it, but
These are the moments that
I'm gonna remember most
I've just gotta keep goin', and
I gotta be strong
Just keep pushing on, but

There's always gonna be another mountain

I'm always gonna wanna make it move
Always gonna be an uphill battle
Sometimes I'm gonna have to lose
Ain't about how fast I get there
Ain't about what's waitin' on the other side
It's the climb


Wow!  So not only do I need to climb the mountain, but I have to become the mountain. Or am I the mountain I need to overcome?  Alright, now that's just deep.  

I love the thought about the climb being the journey.  It gives me hope knowing I have an adventure, not a destination.  And it's going to be quite an adventure.  Seeing what I can do with my grain of sand and living up to my full potential.  We're all given the same grain of sand.  We may be worn down by the water more or shaped by the friction, but we all have the same chance to grow.  We just all don't take it. Sometimes we're content to be one of a billion grains that stay on the beach and come and go with the tide.

I've been told the grass isn't always greener.  These are the people that don't understand why I'm doing this.  It's not about stopping at another field.  It's not for the better job or even a better life.  It's for the journey.  I ended up at a destination yet my trip wasn't quite finished yet.  I got off the train a few stops too early.  I have more to learn.  More to experience.  And maybe more to teach others.  Someone suggested the other day that maybe this move wasn't for me but what I was bringing to others.  Curious.  We'll have to see about that one.

So today I'm climbing.  It may be slow.  Probably long.  I'm sure I have many more mountains to conquer.  No, not conquer.  Experience.  Live.  Enjoy.  Looking forward to the other side and breathing in the beauty in the meantime.  Not sure I'll step onto the train again.  I think I'll take the rest of this trip on foot...


2 comments:

  1. And...from one of our favorite movies...

    Climb every mountain
    Search high and low
    Follow every by-way
    Every path you know.

    Climb every mountain
    Ford every stream
    Follow every rainbow
    'Til you find your dream.

    A dream that will need
    All the love you can give
    Every day of your life
    For as long as you live.

    Climb every mountain
    Ford every stream
    Follow every rainbow
    'Til you find your dream.

    (love Mom) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AND...when you finally get to the top of that mountain ..after that long hard climb...you get the best view of the world that there ever was. But that's not the best part...you get to ROLL down the other side! :) (love, Mom)

    ReplyDelete