Pages

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Amazing

You just tell yourself that this is going to be amazing and just do it. 

Ahh.  So what does it take to be amazing?  Do you have to break a world record?  I don't see me wing walking anytime in the near or distant future - I'm deathly afraid of heights.  I think they need to give world records for simply making it through the day sometimes.  Especially us moms.  I mean, I feel like I've run a marathon before I ever get to work.  I get to occasionally save the day at work, but most of the time just put out fires.  Back home into a whirlwind until the kids finally fall asleep.  Most days I am lucky just to survive the chaos.  And you know what a big fan I am of simply surviving...

Amazing is defined as "to cause great wonder or astonishment."  How do we get to the amazing part?  You know, those times you look back and say "Yep!  That was the best (fill in the blank)."  Wouldn't it be great to have more of those days?  So how do we get from the mundane to the incredible?  Is it possible to plan for these moments or do they just happen spontaneously?  I was told that I couldn't control my fate, but can I at least direct my high points?  
 
So what type of moments do you consider amazing?  It's probably going to be vastly different for everyone.  I mean, we all see those acts that we collectively think are amazing.  But I'm talking about those that specifically have meaning to you.  Is it making the winning catch in a softball game? Getting that raise you've been working for?  Holding your baby for the first (or hundredth) time?  The wind in your hair as you walk along the beach with a loved one?  

For me, besides the crazy stuff my kids do, these times have been few and far between.  I'm working pretty hard to figure out what amazing means to me.  Right now everything is going to be so different in my life that it will be difficult to tell the difference.  But Ashley says to tell yourself that it's going to be amazing.  So I am.  I don't want to look back at the end of another year and discover that it's Christmas again already and I don't have anything to show for the time I put in.  I'm telling myself that my future is not just going to be safe and good.  It's going to be amazing.  So my wish for you is: find something today to go be amazing at.  Let me know what you do :)

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Surfing on the waves of imperfection wandering aimlessly…
    Searching for direction things seem to happen spontaneously.
    We all…in some ways we are subject to the clock, but we get stopped…" Absrtact Rude

    Amazing to me is my ability to continue to stumble forward in life. Although not completely graceful, it is at least in the correct direction. When it's time for my time card to get pulled / punched, I'll be ready to move on with no ill feelings about the many WOW / Amazing days I have allowed to creep into my life. Life it's self is already pretty amazing!

    ReplyDelete