Pages

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Elusive...

"In the attitude of silence the soul finds the path in a clearer light, and what is elusive and deceptive resolves itself into crystal clearness."~ Mahatma Ghandi

Well, I've discovered that finding a house is as difficult as finding the right guy.  Elusive.  Teasing.  It sucks just as bad when the house deal doesn't go through as when the guy deal doesn't go through.  Actually worse.

I'm finding there are a lot of similarities.  The house has to be in the right neighborhood.    Same with a boyfriend.  He has to be close enough to your "class" of people.  This doesn't mean race, religion, etc. (because then I would have to renege on my previous blog Diversity, and you know I would never do that.)  But somewhere in the ballpark for whatever differences you do have to be surmountable.  Location is also important.  Close enough to the school and work to make it convenient.  Long distant dating sucks.  Especially if there are kids involved because most likely neither person is going to move because of school districts and stuff like that.

The house has to have a certain appearance.  Do you like white picket fences?  Ultra-modern and sleek condos?  Worn-out jeans and a t-shirt or Italian suits?  BBQ joints or fine linen?   And it has to fit your family just as well as the new man.  In my case there has to be room for three children and a working mom.  Plenty of space to spread out and grow.  Comfortable - not stuffy.  Same with a guy.  He has to have the room in his heart for four more.  The ability to expand his life to accept us all.  And for lack of a better phrase - broken in - so he can adapt to our crazy, chaotic lives.

I didn't think that the house process would be this difficult.  I thought I would pick a house, make an offer, then get it ready to move into.  But seeing how much fun dating has been so far, I guess I should have expected it.

So, for now, we will stay in the apartment.  Hey - the electric bills are super low and I don't have to mow the lawn.  The right house will come when it's time.  Just like the right guy lol!

1 comment: