Pages

Monday, August 16, 2010

Bumps in the road...

"The bumps in the road just make the ride more fun." ~Jorj Wagner
"Setbacks are just bumps in the road, they are not the end of the road."
~Bob Greene

Well, some of you know how last week went.  The trip to Cleveland was virtually perfect.  My family (the part that showed up) were incredible!  They helped unload the entire truck in an hour and a half.  And it was hot!  My four-hour interview Monday went great (don't know anything yet).  Flight home safe and uneventful.  But my last 2 days in Tennessee were hell.  Apparently you can't rent a U-haul trailer with an Explorer.  Yeah, only Explorers.  No other Fords.  So my friend tried to help me get it with hers but no electrical hook-ups.  Same thing with everyone else we tried.  Either no hitch or no electrical.  

So I ended up taking my ex's flatbed trailer.  Seemed like a good idea at the time.  Loaded everything I could on it, tied it down and finally hit the road almost a day later than planned.  Well, this worked until we hit Elizabethtown, Kentucky.  Then I felt a little bump and a bit of shaking for a minute.  Thought I had lost a box.  Stopped at the next rest area and low and behold, I was missing a tire.  Completely.  The boxes didn't budge though.  The kids started panicking, but I told them we were on a great adventure.  Got some activity books and candy, watched cars and trucks pass, and then the repair guy fix the tires.  Two hours and $275 later, I had two new tires and was back on the road.  I was going to tip the guy for helping me that late at night but changed my mind when he charged me $75 for towing and never actually towed me. 

Well, I finally made it here about nine in the morning on Friday.  Unloaded the trailer and truck with minimal help from my kids.  I am really hating the stairs now.  But it's done.  We are here, boxes and all.  Mostly unopened, but here just the same.  Mom watched the kids Friday night while I took my drug test for the job I don't quite have yet.  I actually got to sleep in Saturday.  Was up from 5 a.m. Thursday until about 10:30 Friday night.   I'm still down about 4 hours of sleep, but I'll catch up sometime this week.  

So,  God really wanted to delay me for some reason.  Still don't know what it was.  But I am here.  For good.  And I may never move again.  From the Cleveland area, my apartment, and just maybe this spot.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment