Pages

Friday, August 27, 2010

You Can Go Home

“We are all longing to go home to some place we have never been — a place half-remembered and half-envisioned we can only catch glimpses of from time to time. Somewhere, there are people to whom we can speak with passion without having the words catch in our throats. Somewhere a circle of hands will open to receive us, eyes will light up as we enter, voices will celebrate with us whenever we come into our own power.  A circle of friends. Someplace where we can be free." ~Starhawk 

I was going to use the "You can't go home" quote.  But it doesn't apply.  I've found that you can go home.  No, it's not exactly the same.  But it's close.  Really close to the way I remember.  Close enough to be comfortable.  To just feel right.

We had a get-together with a bunch of friends from grade school.  Yeah, I said grade school.  Haven't seen some of these people in 26 years.  Ugh!  That makes me feel really old.  It was amazing!  The things we remember about those times.  I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday but I remember so much about back then.  Yeah, we all look different.  But time has changed us for the better.  We've all had our ups and downs but I think that we are all on the upswing now.  Ready for the future.  No longer bitter about the past.  Chalk it up to learning experiences and moving on.  I want to thank you guys (can't say y'all any more) for a super evening.  Can't wait for the next one!

So I feel a bit like Norm walking into Cheers and everyone yelling my name.  I am in the familiar.  Everyone does know me (at least those who count).  They are welcoming me back and have saved my seat for me even after all of these years.  I have been gone but not at all forgotten.  I am home.

No comments:

Post a Comment