Pages

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Letting Go

We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us. ~ E.M. Forster

The unknown is such a scary place.  It is so frightening sometimes that we stay frozen where we are even if it makes us miserable.  We keep a job that we hate.  Stay in a bad relationship.  Never take that lesson we wanted to because someone called it silly.  Because we are comfortable and as a people we gravitate towards that. 

And since the known is so comfortable, we build our plans around it.  We set long term goals.  You can't really call them dreams if you aren't reaching beyond the bounderies.  They are just whispers of what might have been.  Our potential is quelched by our unwillingness to forge ahead.

Some of us hold so tightly to these plans that it is impossible to see beyond them.  They are our security blanket.   They make us feel so safe that we don't even see the possibilities right in front of us.  We preach about how our lives are so good and even defend them when someone suggests something to the contrary.  We do this so often that we convince ourselves that it is true.

Alas, even I with all the big talk of spreading my wings and leaping have built my hopes on certain plans.  Knowing full well I can't plan for these hopes and dreams.  I have to just let them happen.  It is just so hard to let go.  But I know until I do, the life I deserve will never come to pass.

So I will fight it a little longer.  I guess I'm too much of a control freak not to.  But soon, perhaps sooner than I thought, I am going to have to let go in order for my future to happen...

No comments:

Post a Comment