Pages

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Wisdom

"Wisdom doesn't automatically come with old age.  Nothing does - except wrinkles.  It's true, some wines improve with age.  But only if the grapes were good in the first place." ~Abigail Van Buren

While going through my old papers from school, I came across a New Year's resolution list I had made in 1984.  Yeah, I was two (right...) but I apparently already was a very wise person.  

1.  Be kind to everyone.
2.  Lose weight and not eat so much.
3.  Accept things as they are and try not to change them.
4.  Pay more attention to school subjects.
5.  Try not to fight with my parents and brothers.
6.  Use my talents to the fullest.
7.  Help out more at home.
8.  Be myself.
9.  Help people who can't help themselves.
10.  Don't complain when things don't go the way I want them to and don't expect them to.
11.  Be friends to people who need a friend.
12.  Don't be jealous of people who I think have more.
13.  Don't make a fool of myself just for attention and to get into the in crowd. 
14.  Don't give up good friends for false ones.
15.  Keep my new year's resolutions.

I think all of these are still great goals to shoot for even now - 26 (ugh!) years later.   Luckily I think the person I have become embraces most of these on a regular basis.  There's still one or two that I need to work on, but I'm getting there.

So, apparently I was a good grape.  Somewhere down the line some really great bricks went into my foundation.  Thank you if you were one of those bricks!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you kept most of them. You were a friend to me when I needed one!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really think that list is awesome & you are a great person. The only one I won't worry about to much is #13 because we have to have fun sometimes :) Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete